Obvious Leaks Are Easy and Cheap, Hidden Leaks Are Hard and Expensive.
One of the major banes of home ownership is plumbing leaks. From minor drips at faucets to broken pipes under the slab, leaks have caused problems since they invented plumbing. Unless the leak is obvious, leak detection is what plumbers do best.
Make Sure There Is A Leak
Overall System Pressure Test
- Hook up a pressure gage to an external faucet, shut off the water main from the street and wait 15 minutes. Take a picture of the gage when you start and when the time is up. If the pressure drops, you have a leak.
- Run the test again, this time with the water main shut off at the house. If the water pressure still drops the leak is in the water main between the street and the house.
Examine The House For Leaks
- Kitchen and Bathrooms
- With a flashlight, check under the sinks. Look for moisture at the joints and the bottom of the P trap. Look for puddles and corrosion on pipe fittings. Check the floor of the cabinet for water damage.
- Water Stains
- Molds and Mildews
- Buckling or peeling surfaces
- Check around the base of the toilet and bathtub for water damage. If you can see under the tub, look for any signs of water damage there.
- Repeat check around your other water based appliances.
Leak in the walls
- Look for puddles at the base of walls or wet carpets
- Search for the discoloration of the wall
- Inspect walls for texture changes or bubbles
- Mold or mildew on walls shows water leak.
- Do you smell any musty odors near the wall?
- Listen for dripping sounds.
Leaks in foundations
- Basements and around the foundation most leaks are not plumbing
- Check ceilings for discolorations and bulges.
Locating the Leak
- Scan for moisture in the walls with a moisture meter. Moisture meters check for the amount of water in drywall. Check several places, the one with the highest readings is near the leak.
- Use an Infrared camera to check walls. The coldest areas are near the leak.
- Use Ultrasonic Leak Detection equipment to list for leaks behind walls and under slabs or floors.
- By listening to the wound of the water running through the pipes, the ultrasonic detector can track leaks back to the actual leak. This can save you a considerable amount of money.
- By nature, water will run along the path of least resistance. This means where you first detect water is not necessarily where the leak is. So before you go opening walls or digging up pipes, use the proper equipment to locate the leaks.
Contact a Local Fresno Plumber
While you or a handyman can fix minor leaks like dripping faucets or loose connections, it is at your own risk. Remember, any job over $500 cannot be done without a licensed contractor. This protects you since licensed Plumbers have bonds and insurance. Never get a job done without a written estimate.
Handymen often take shortcuts such as chemical clog removal. This can cause major pipe damage. So look for a great local plumber, one that will assess the plumbing for free and has the proper equipment to fix your problems.
In the Fresno Area, All Clean Sewer & Plumbing is your Local Plumber of choice. Equipped to meet all Plumbing, Repairs, Replacements and Installations needs.